Assistant (Part-Time) Campus Monitor
About St. HOPE Public Schools
At. St. HOPE Public Schools we work tirelessly toward our mission of graduating self-motivated, industrious and critical thinking leaders who are committed to serving others, passionate about lifelong learning and prepared to earn a degree from a four-year college. From our rigorous curriculum and excellent athletic programs to our longer school days and high expectations for behavior, we do whatever it takes to help our students reach their full potential. That’s why 96% of our high school seniors were accepted to a four year college in 2016. St. HOPE Public Schools is a pre-kindergarten through 12th grade system of three schools serving over 1,500 students.
The Bigger Picture
St. HOPE Public Schools are not like other schools. We belong to a family of non-profits whose mission is to revitalize the Oak Park community through public education and economic development. Not only do our scholars receive high quality education, but they also belong to a community dedicated to their success beyond the classroom.
St. HOPE Community Development Corporation has dramatically improved Oak Park through its holistic community development approach, creating more than 20 businesses and over 300 jobs. We opened 40 Acres Art and Cultural Center, a 25,000-square-foot mixed-use facility located in the heart of Oak Park hosting the Guild Theater, Underground Books, Old Soul, and more. St. HOPE has even brought dedicated partners like Teach for America, College Track, and City Year to the neighborhood for additional support! St. HOPE Community Development Corporation supports St. HOPE Public Schools by transforming the environment of our scholars providing them with vision for excellence and success.
So you think you’re a HOPEster?
The ideal candidate will bring a passion to the mission and vision of St. HOPE and a desire to positively impact the Oak Park community. At St. HOPE Public Schools, we live by five key pillars:
High Expectations- You not only set the bar high for every scholar, but also for yourself. You possess a clear vision for what excellence looks like for student work, student behavior, and your craft.
Choice & Commitment- You understand how your work impacts life outside of your office or classroom. You wake up every morning and commit yourself to doing what's best for kids.
More Time- You are one of those people that goes above and beyond in all areas of life. Some people may even say you do too much, but you know that more time equals better results.
Focus on Results- Everything you do is done with purpose because you are dedicated to growth. You believe in data and work tirelessly to reach your goals. You are a problem solver and find feedback empowering.
Power to Lead- You are a natural influencer. You can't help but train and nurture scholars and peers. People are attracted to you because of the way you equip them to succeed.
St. HOPE Public Schools is seeking an assistant (part-time) campus monitor to assist with maintaining a positive school culture. Candidates must hold the belief that all children can succeed academically and socially and this belief must drive him or her to be relentless in his or her work.
Responsibilities of the Campus Monitor will include:
- Work with school leaders, staff and students to create a positive school culture of respect, discipline and service
- Provide continuous monitoring of school grounds to ensure the safety of students and staff
- Greet students and visitors in the morning
- Ensure that all visitors have signed in at the main office
- Build positive relationships with students on campus
- Provide supervision in designated areas including but not limited to hallways, the gymnasium, school entrance and exits and surrounding premises
- Hold students accountable for the dress code and behavior expectations by supporting the campus discipline policy and assigning appropriate consequences as approved by the director of operations and the school leaders
- Report inappropriate behavior to the school leaders and security director
- When necessary, assist teachers with discipline issues
- Work with school leaders to implement a plan for student behavior and attendance.
- Supervise on and off campus activities
- Intervene in conflicts on campus
- Monitor students behavior and anticipate issues notifying appropriate staff on campus as a prevention mechanism
- Assist the deans, director of security, local law enforcement and other emergency response staff as requested.
- Complete all documentation and reports pertaining to student behavior and conduct
- Serve as positive role model for students
- Other administrative duties and projects as assigned
We are seeking a results-driven leader committed to the St. HOPE Public Schools mission, high expectations and his or her own professional growth.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent
- Experience working in an urban school environment or working with students in middle or high school
- Pass a criminal background check and any other pre-employment assessments (e.g. TB risk assessment)
Highly Desired (but not required):
- Possess a BA
- Bilingual speaking, reading, and writing abilities (Spanish or Vietnamese)
- Leadership and/or counseling experience and/or ability to teach enrichment classes (ex: music, art, sports)
Compensation and Hours
Regular hours will be set by the school leader and are normally the school day plus time before and after school to ensure safe arrival to and dismissal from school. When necessarily, campus monitors may be asked to provide support at school related activities and/or events.
The position is paid at a rate of $17/hr.
All candidates for this position must submit the following two pieces of information. Please note you must submit both documents or your application will not be considered.
Thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity
Submit the application materials via the Careers page on our website at www.sthopepublicschools.org
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin,
age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.