Fruit and Flower Mission
Helping working parents raise generations of joyful learners.
In 1885, a group of teenaged girls formed an organization to make a charitable contribution to their community in Portland. They delivered baskets of fruit and bouquets of flowers to their less fortunate neighbors and to patients at Good Samaritan and St. Vincent’s Hospitals, and called themselves “The Children’s Flower Mission.”
As they grew older, those far-thinking young women became aware of the pressing need for childcare on the part of single working mothers. They wanted to ensure that the children would not be neglected, but instead cared for, kept clean, and fed nourishing meals and snacks. In 1906, they opened Oregon’s first childcare program, Fruit and Flower Day Nursery of Portland.
Our beliefs and practices:
· We believe the capacity to thrive and contribute positively in a diverse society is a life-long practice of perspective taking, discovery and adaptation.
· We believe that children learn best through play.
· We believe in supportive and nurturing relationships.
· We believe that children thrive in an environment where they are active learners.
· We believe in supporting and celebrating the wonderful diversity of every family and every member of our Fruit & Flower Community.
· We believe it is our responsibility as educators to be alert to signs of children’s readiness to learn and to provide them with the opportunities and support they need to develop in their own special way.
We are seeking someone who is enthusiastic, joyful and kind, with a desire to be a part of a diverse caring team of early childhood professional. We offer 25 hours of paid continuing education annually. This is a great opportunity to grow and expand your skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to relate comfortably to children and adults. Ability to communicate ideas, concerns and feelings regarding the program and procedures to the appropriate person. Must be able to accept supervision and also give directions to Staff in the room. Knowledge of normal growth and development of children and ability to detect variations and take appropriate actions. Ability to appropriately communicate feelings involving interpersonal relations to the people involved. Must be flexible yet able to set and maintain limits. Must have physical stamina to meet job demands.
Minimum Qualifications: Must be enrolled in the Central Background Registry. Application can be found at: https://oregonearlylearning.com/providers-educators/providers-educatorscbr/
You must be a step 8 in the Oregon Step Registry or able to obtain a step 8. Information can be found at: https://www.pdx.edu/education-career-development/steps-credentials-oro
$18.75 an hour (40 hours per week guaranteed)
Medical insurance 100% paid
Dental insurance 100% paid
Paid Time Off (paid vacation)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.75 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Are you enrolled in the Central Background Registry: https://oregonearlylearning.com/providers-educators/providers-educatorscbr/
- Are you in the Oregon step registry? If so, are you at least a step 8? https://www.pdx.edu/education-career-development/steps-credentials-oro
Work Location: One location