Job descriptionJob Description
POSITION: Dean of Students
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Support
POSITION TYPE: 11-month
START DATE: 23-24 School Year
COMPENSATION: Starting at $ 6 5,264 annually
EVERY OPPORTUNITY STARTS WITH A YES
Great schools begin with great people who believe every day is an opportunity to make a difference. At YES Prep, you have an opportunity to join a family of diverse educators who are leveling the playing field by providing opportunities for a high-quality, college-forward curriculum while also ensuring our students feel supported through their academic journey and empowered to lead choice-filled lives. YES Prep is more than a family of public charter schools, it’s the future of public education—it’s an opportunity to say, “Yes, you can!Our campuses are advancing educational equity. Some quick stats about us:
- 17,000 Students
- 1,800 Team Members
- 18 Secondary Campuses
- 6 Elementary Campuses
- 91% Students Who Qualify for Free/Reduced-Price Lunch
- 94% Hispanic & African-American Students
- 90% Students Who Are Accepted to a 4-Year University
- 88% First-Generation College Students
- Top 100 High Schools in the Nation, U.S. News & World Report
We serve the students of Houston, Texas, the 4th largest city across the United States. There are over 20 public-school districts and other great public charter school options, like KIPP Texas-Houston and IDEA Public Schools, within Houston’s city limits serving our increasing population. We are a rapidly growing organization, committed to creating life-changing opportunities for over 23,000 students by 2025.
THE ROLE When you join the YES Prep team, some of the exciting work and responsibilities will include:
- Developing, implementing, managing, and executing effective student behavioral systems and ensuring incorporation of family communication throughout the process;
- Managing, coaching, modeling, and developing team members through communication, observations, meetings, and collaboration;
- Managing and evaluating comprehensive programs that will increase student achievement and social-emotional wellness;
- Collecting, maintaining, and analyzing relevant student data to evaluate and make recommendations for systems of accountability that support students;
- Developing, maintaining, and modeling transformative relationships with various stakeholders, including staff, students, families, and community members that reinforce campus vision, values, and culture;
- Supporting the development and execution of the campus culture vision;
- Managing and coaching Grade Level Chairs to align to campus systems and goals
- Additional duties as assigned.
THE PERSON We seek staff with diverse backgrounds, talents, interests, and ideas. Certain traits consistently shine through for our most successful employees: a passion for the mission, drive for results, care for students, agility, and resilience. Other traits needed and desired for this role are:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- At least 3 years as a Teacher of Record or in a student-facing leadership or program role
- At least 1 year serving as a Grade Level Chair or equivalent role
- Experience in coaching or leading adults
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Ability to analyze data and craft proposals that support students
- Engage in difficult conversations
- Demonstrates skills in conflict resolution
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team and collaborate cross-functionally
- A dedication to learn, grow and develop as a professional
THE NICE TO HAVES
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution
- At least 2+ years serving as a Grade Level Chair or equivalent role
- Compensation – This position is an exempt, salaried position; salary offers commensurate with experience.
- Health and Supplemental Insurance – A $0 monthly medical option that includes $600 towards a Health Savings Account, in addition to a variety of supplemental benefits including Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, etc. Employees must work 20+ hours a week to be eligible for a full spectrum of benefits, and 10 hours a week minimum for medical benefits.
Retirement Plans – Participation in Teacher Retirement System of Texas and a 457b Retirement Plan.
Paid Time Off – Employees working 20+ hours a week receive 12 days of Paid Time Off in addition to the system closures during the Academic Calendar.
Paid Leave Programming – In the event you need to be out due to medical needs (including maternity and paternity leave), YES Prep offers paid leave, paid at 100%, based on eligibility and tenure.
- Professional Development - YES Prep values longevity and performance over time. We invest in developing leaders through high-quality programs, effective coaching, and ongoing professional development.
- Award Winning Culture – The strong cultures of our campuses and Home Office are just one of many reasons we were named Houston’s Best Place to work in 2018, 2019, and 2021. We won the 2012 Broad Prize for Excellence in Urban Education and were a 2016 finalist as well.
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO EQUITY & DIVERSITY YES Prep strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for students when their teachers and leaders reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Ninety-five percent (95%) of staff members agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity according to our latest system survey.
YES Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.