Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
Responsible for following the directions of the Chef in the kitchen, while reporting to the Employee In Charge (EIC) in the Dinging Car and the Conductor.
- Prepares all food on the menu in accordance with the cooking and service procedures manual.
- Manages an orderly flow of meal checks to ensure “first-in”, “first-out”.
- While enroute assists the chef with inventory and cleaning duties, including but not limited to making coffee, cleaning and sanitizing flatware, wiping and replacing tablecloths and removing trash from the pantry and dining car areas.
- Cleans and re-fills salt and pepper shakers, water pitchers, and sugar bowls. Maintains knowledge of the location of all storage areas to prevent delays when supplies are needed during meal periods and assists in the loading, unloading, storing and rotating of supplies.
- Must be conversant and comply with Amtrak’s Standards of Excellence which apply to all employees, the General Rules for all on-board Services Employees and the Safety Rules for all Customer Services Employees.
- Works effectively and efficiently as a team member of the kitchen and dining room.
- Works within the guidelines of Amtrak’s System Safety Program and Environmental Management System.
- Functions as Chef in an emergency.
- Other duties as instructed by the Chef.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent combination of training, education and/or experience.
- Reliable attendance and timeliness in reporting to work.
- Some experience handling food/beverage preferred.
- Some experience in a customer service or similar public contact role preferred.
- Interior/exterior work with varying noise levels, lighting of varying degrees, floors of carpet/metal and moderate heat/cold temperatures.
- Exposure to all weather conditions including extreme cold, snow and rain.
- Interior work is performed while train is stationary and while it is moving.
- Work away from home, rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, odd days and/or shifts.
- Must be flexible and able to handle/ cope with delayed trains and long hours away from home.
- Will be required to bend, stoop, stand and climb in performing daily tasks and activities.
- Must have visual acuity and hearing capability sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job unless other vision or hearing standards are required by law.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push or pull loads in accordance with all applicable safety rules and regulations.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Job Family/Function:Customer Service
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Customer Service || Customer Service