The BHS Drama Department is seeking an Assistant Director for their 2020/2021 Drama Program!
Rehearsal after school and weekends for three production seasons: The Musical and the One Act Festival are designed to include any and all who wish to participate which means that no one is cut from the cast. This can result in casts over fifty for the Musical and it can also mean that the Director and the Assistant Director may have to direct as many as five one act plays in addition to those being directed by the Senior members of the Club.
Assist the Director in overseeing all operations BHS Drama Club including, but not limited to:
- Casting, directing three productions a year starting the second week of August and ending the fourth week of May
- Setting weekly schedules for casts after school and Sunday afternoons and tech crew evenings and Sunday mornings
- Communicating clearly with the Director concerning all aspects of daily rehearsal schedules and the assignment for the week.
- Consulting with the Director and helping them with delegated tasks necessary to the production
- Communicating with school administrative assistants concerning yearly/daily schedule for use of auditorium space as well as locker rooms during production weeks.
- Maintaining a safe, welcoming and productive environment overseeing cast of 5-85 students and a construction and tech crew of 5-25
- Choosing appropriate productions for students in grades 9-12 that will also fund the program (no budget from district)
- Assisting with management of costumes, props,building supplies.
- Assisting with managing a budget which must be used to purchase all items necessary for a production: fabric, patterns, paint, lumber, tools, costumes, shoes, wigs, hardware, lighting supplies, sound rental, royalties, contracts, advertising, etc.
- Assisting the Director with the timely payment of all bills for rented equipment, contracts, materials, etc.
- Assisting the Director with the timely return of all rented materials such as sound and lighting equipment.
- Assisting the oversight the set construction for each show (historically this is evening and weekend work)
- Assisting to create a set design and consulting with construction advisor (an adult, often a parent volunteer) to ensure safety and functionality of the design
- Communication with parents and students regarding all details concerning rehearsals, personal problems, schedules, etc.
- Assisting with facilitation of contracts, materials (scripts and PR/Media) with production houses for rights to shows
- Helping to choose/design/research costumes appropriate for productions, characters, and historical time period and ensuring that all students, regardless of talent, size or ability are costumed well and are comfortable in the ultimate choice.
- Assisting with coordination costume design and construction (selection and connecting with volunteer sewers)
- Working with other directors (musical, lighting, choreography, construction) to establish a cohesive vision for each production
- Coordinating and maintaining communication with volunteers (set construction, costumes, make-up/hair, ticket sales, concession)
- Assisting with the oversight and coordination the striking of all sets after each season and the appropriate storing of lumber, furniture and set pieces, as well as the disposal of materials which cannot be recycled for future productions, the laundering or dry cleaning of costumes and the storage of all costumes, props, shoes, building materials and tools in their assigned locations.
- Assisting with the education of the club members concerning proper and safe behavior on and off stage
- Assisting with the educating of the construction and technical crews about correct and safe use of equipment and tools as well as safe backstage protocol concerning handling the rigging, quick costume changes by cast, prop placement and set changing during shows
- Other duties as assigned