PAY GRADE: H
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
This position provides administrative support for the GEAR UP Coordinator(s) hired by the school district to manage the implementation of core interventions and services for students and their families as outlined in annual school-specific GEAR UP work plans and budgets. GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs and is a federally funded partnership between Northern Arizona University and XX School District.
The GEAR UP Assistant performs a variety of office, clerical, word processing and/or data-entry duties related to the GEAR UP grant. The Assistant is supervised by the GEAR UP Coordinator(s) and designated school staff to maintain accurate and complete records of student data and participation in GEAR UP activities; to assist with GEAR UP event/service planning; to submit data on a timely basis to NAU; and to perform other duties related to administrative support for the GEAR UP Coordinators(s).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
Provide general information in response to inquiries in person or by telephone; refers inquiries to GEAR UP Coordinator (s), as appropriate.
- Files and cross-indexes documents and correspondence according to prescribed methods.
- Operate copiers, calculators, personal computers, fax machines, or other basic office equipment found in the GEAR UP office (s).
- Assembles and or/compiles a variety of data from GEAR UP Coordinators for entry into a database, or for submission to NAU for entry.
- As directed, distributes or mails GEAR UP Newsletters and other information to GEAR UP families.
- Prepares work orders, supply requisitions, requests for special data or similar actions within established limits and procedures; obtains appropriate signatures.
- Makes arrangements for meetings by scheduling facilities and services according to instructions from GEAR UP Coordinators.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: (positions in this class typically require):
- Associates’ Degree, or higher in a related field
- Two years of secretarial/clerical experience; or certificate in secretarial science and one year of secretarial/clerical experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: (positions in this class typically require):
KNOWLEDGE: (position requirements at entry):
- Knowledge of generic office procedures and practices
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; data entry experience preferred
SKILLS: (position requirements at entry):
- Skill in basic arithmetic, grammar and spelling
- Skill in general record keeping
- Skill in the operation of a variety of office machines including personal computers, telephones and copiers
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, families and other school staff
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, finger dexterity, and grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
Return To Work Retirees will have an hourly rate approximately 9% lower than listed below without falling below minimum wage.