Job Title: Lead, Decision Science
Reporting to: Lead, Data Science & Genomics
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
The role will be responsible for developing and leading R&D’s analytics and machine learning strategy with projects ranging from genome/protein design to making data driven decisions across the pipeline. This key role will drive the development of insight generation platforms through statistical modeling and accelerate scientific innovation using machine learning techniques. They will manage a team of statisticians and data scientists who work with scientists and leaders in diverse domain areas. This role will report into the Data Science & Genomics group helping build the scientific strategy and contribute also to the culture of our R&D organization as the company grows. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of how business targets influence research and development and will be an analytics thought partner to commercial, finance and portfolio teams.
- Develop and lead the analytics and machine learning strategy.
- Have a coach-player mindset willing to dive in and contribute to code development.
- Establish goals, milestones, and budgets required to advance decision science projects.
- Drive the development of algorithms for automated imaging, gene discovery, allele and protein design.
- Establish and manage collaborations with universities and other scientific organizations to bring diverse thought into Pairwise.
- Participate as a member of Pairwise’s scientific leadership team.
- Provide strong cross-functional leadership across the organization.
- PhD, or equivalent experience, in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or related fields.
- Extensive experience in computer vision algorithms and translating them to genomics and computational biology algorithms.
- 3+ years experience managing scientific teams or leading by influence.
- Strong track record of formulating research programs.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver scientific results in a cross functional environment.
- Ability to manage complex product development pipeline activities.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Pairwise we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.