Job descriptionLocation: United States Vacancy Type: Permanent Internal Job Title: Marine Service Technician 3
Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine has over 100 years of history and expertise in navigation and are a major global provider of navigation solutions, including radars, compass systems, steering systems, speed logs, integrated bridge and control systems as well as providing 24/7 support to all of our customers.As part of our growth we’re looking for a Marine Services Technician to be based in Long Beach, CA. Under limited supervision, you’ll use your knowledge of electronics and circuitry to test, repair, and install our products. You’ll analyse system malfunctions and make repairs under tight shipboard schedules, using complex schematics and/or blueprints to achieve objective for assigned tasks.
Shipboard working environment: occasionally must take helicopter to ships at anchorage; works on radar mast 50-60 feet above deck or 100 feet below main deck; works also in shipyards around new construction on ships; works exposed to weather at times.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and tests marine products, normally aboard customers' vessels but may include landbased and shop work.
- Oversees and supervises the shipboard installation of all Sperry Marine products. Stays with installed product during sea trial and makes adjustments to ensure proper working order.
- Performs training aboard ship to satisfy customer operational requirements.
- Provides and assists in the training of less experienced employees.
- Establishes and maintains customer relationships through routine visitations and contacts at customers' offices and vessels.
- At all times, promotes the company’s products and services through customer relationships.
- Performs administrative functions including job paperwork, time sheets, expense records, and computer entries of such records.
- Prior to jobs aboard vessels, studies previous service records and secures sufficient information, tools and spare parts to ensure a high success rate.
- After jobs aboard vessels, provides adequate follow up to ensure customer satisfaction or to arrange follow up service.
- Prepares service reports on product malfunctions and reports of weekly activities.
- Strong technical, electronic experience; or an Associate’s Degree in a technical discipline plus evidence of technical, electronic experience.
- Must be able to apply electronic and electro-mechanical theory.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a valid FCC General License plus radar endorsement.
- Ability to frequently move and position objects weighing 40-50 lbs.
- Must be able to take a launch service 5 to 100 miles offshore and board by Jacob's ladder.
- Ability to work in areas of height or close spaces.
- Ability to be subject to a variety of atmospheric conditions.
- Experience with Marine Navigation equipment, to include RADAR, Gyrocompasses, Steering/ autopilot systems, and ECDIS (Desirable)
Our company grows because of our employees' dedication and commitment to achieving our mission, something we always remember. In return for working for us you will have access to a benefits package that provides you with flexibility to balance your professional career with your personal life, health & well-being benefits, discount schemes, pension benefits and investment in your future development.
We are committed to equality and diversity in our workplace. Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual’s protected status, including race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/expression, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, religion or belief, creed, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status or characteristic.