Job descriptionCompany Description
It takes a lot of very smart, hard-working and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in which we provide it. And that starts with our employees.
The ED Patient Greeter is responsible for the initial experience of patients/ visitors entering the medical center through the main entrance of the Emergency Department. The role is responsible for confirming promptly if persons walking through the main entrance of the ED are seeking emergency care in compliance with the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (“EMTALA”). It is necessary that s/he is cordial and ensures the person receives timely care and/ or are guided to their intended destination safely. This position requires a high degree of professionalism, customer service skills, and a commitment to teamwork.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Acknowledgement a person has arrived through the main entrance of the Emergency Department
- and immediately seek to confirm if they are seeking emergent care
- Responsible for initial and accurate entry of a patient’s key identifiers and basic contact information
- into the hospital’s Emergency Department Information System (“EDIS”)
- Documentation of patient arrival method
- Documentation of patient chief complaint
- Scanning of a patients approved form(s) of identification into their medical record in the EDIS i.e.
- Driver’s License, Passport
- Serves as a general resource to non-emergency seeking patients; provides directions to assist
- patients/ visitors locate other key areas of the hospital
- Supports quality assurance efforts by reviewing patient accounts in the EDIS to ensure all key
- registration elements are captured i.e. patient’s primary care physician as applies
- Demonstrates knowledge and compliance with EMTALA
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Prior experience working in a clinical setting is preferred
- Computer literacy required including familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and other complex
- medical information systems i.e. Medhost, Cerner products, EPIC
- Ability to learn new systems/ applications efficiently
- High-degree of interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Intensely focused on attention to detail
- High-degree of professionalism; maintains and manages confidential personal medical information
- High-level of maturity; daily interaction with various individuals in a fast-paced, emergent care environment
- Bilingual skills preferable but not required
- Associates Degree preferred
- 2 years of experience working in a medical office/ clinical setting
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above, may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Fast-paced Emergency Department in a 415-bed academic medical center located in downtown Boston; average of 130 ED patient visits per day
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES STATEMENT:
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Tufts Medical Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements and business necessity.
Please note that effective October 1, 2021, as a condition of employment at Tufts Medical Center, all employees and new hires must have received their complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have been granted an exemption.