Job descriptionDescription / Position Overview
Police Training Specialist
In this position you will provide training support for the Colorado Springs Police Department Training Academy.
Colorado Springs is One of the Best Places to Live (Download PDF reader) according to Learn_About_the_City (Download PDF reader) (This information may change annually).
Essential Job Functions- the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Design and teach classes in the sworn basic recruit academy in accordance with Colorado P.O.S.T. rules
- Design and teach classes in the in-service training program
- Participate in physical conditioning of recruits to include running, workout regiments, and defensive tactics training
- Serve as a “Team Lead” for a group of assigned recruits
- Assist with defensive tactics/arrest control and driver training at the direction of the Academy Director
- Assist with firearms training, as needed, at the direction of the Academy Director
- Assists the in-service coordinator with daily in-service training activities with cadre instructors as needed
- Generate documentation related to sworn basic recruit academy training and in-service training in addition to training reports
- Participate as part of Colorado P.O.S.T. Subject Matter Expert committees as needed
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech
- Ability to read reports and provide constructive feedback to academy recruits
- Knowledge of technical field and use of analytical judgment
- Ability to make decisions appropriate of the organization
- Ability to work well with the team
- Ability to be flexible with work requirements and fill in for other instructors when needed
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in public administration, business administration, or a related field
- One year of full–time law enforcement experience
- Possess, or obtain upon hire, and maintain a valid, non-probationary Colorado driver’s license not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges
One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.
Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements. Ideal candidates will also have
- Experience providing classroom instruction, especially to law enforcement officers
- Prior experience in developing lesson plans
- Experience in creating PowerPoint and video presentations
The job offer will be contingent upon successful completion of a polygraph examination, extensive background check, and other pre-employment assessments.
Applicants that have used marijuana or CBD products within 3 months from the date of their application submission will not be eligible for hire. More information about the Colorado Springs Police Department’s Marijuana Use Policy can be found here.
The City of Colorado Springs offers additional compensation depending on the position, area of assignment, and specific job assignments, including shift differential, pay differential, acting or lead, special assignment, hazard pay, longevity, cell phone allowance, uniform allowance, relocation, awards, standby, call out, compensatory time off, tuition, overtime, extra duty, incentive, holiday premium, proficiency, and vacation sell back.
NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply to Join Our Team
Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
The City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, can be found on the website.
You can view the status of your application here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
Equal Opportunity Employer The City of Colorado Springs is committed to a culture that values our employees’ unique individual qualities and fosters an inclusive environment where people want to be.