Job descriptionGrow Your Career at Compost Crew:
Join us at Compost Crew, a locally owned high-growth organics recycling company based in Rockville, MD. We rescue unwanted food scraps from the landfill, helping to retain valuable nutrients by converting the food scraps into a rich soil amendment – compost. Compost Crew is the largest organic recycling company in our region, serving thousands of homes, businesses, communities and governments throughout Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. We’re innovative leaders in the elimination of food waste, revitalization of our soil, green solutions and sustainability. At Compost Crew, you’ll enjoy a safe, friendly work environment where you’ll be treated with appreciation and respect. You’ll make a real difference in the well-being of our community and environment.
You’ll lead and supervise a team of Drivers (CDL and Non-CDL) and Driver Helpers in their daily collection of food scraps for recycling. You’ll ensure that all collection routes are completed as scheduled to meet the highest standards of safety, customer service, efficiency and fleet maintenance. Your typical work day will start at 3 am Monday to Friday with a rotating weekend on-call schedule. With flexibility and teamwork, you’ll enjoy a satisfying work/life balance. You'll be based in Upper Marlboro, MD, or Rockville, MD.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- At least three years experience in transportation, logistics, or waste management operations
- At least one year experience with significant responsibility for commercial driver supervision, training, coaching and performance assessment
- Driving record that meets Compost Crew standards
- Safety-first/Quality-first leadership skills
- Capacity to lead diverse teams of individuals to perform at their best
- Customer service/Communication/Collaboration skills
- Driver recruitment and training skills
- Ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate and troubleshoot truck maintenance issues/Enforce fleet maintenance programs
- A high degree of ethics and integrity to always do the right thing.
- Ability to problem-solve, use good judgment and make sound decisions efficiently
- Schedule flexibility in meeting operational needs
- United States employment authorization
Other Helpful Background:
- Active CDL-B airbrake license
- Associate’s degree or equivalent
- Customer service or community service experience
- Continuous improvement knowledge/skills
- Interest in sustainability
- Ensure team members adhere to schedules, work standards and company policies
- Proactively maintain safety for employees, customers and community members through standards compliance and prevention
- Foster a work environment that maximizes employee involvement, morale and engagement by providing servant leadership traits and motivation to team all members.
- Manage beginning-of-day and end-of-day processes, by proactively observing and coaching overall driver performance.
- Conduct Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Evaluate quality of service provided to customers, enforce procedures to minimize customer complaints, increase customer retention
- Ensure drivers comply with physicals, drug or alcohol tests, and training required by regulatory agencies.
- Visit customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve outstanding issues related to safety, service or new customer experience by seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
- Collaborate with other departments such as sales, customer service, dispatch and post collections to ensure business and operational goals are met
- Conduct weekly route observations/assessments in addition to evaluate individual and team performance data to achieve overall continuous improvement goals
- Support driver recruitment and training
- Support optimization of routes and dispatching
- Ensure trucks are maintained to standard
- Maintain inventory and storage in addition to occasionally transporting supplies and vehicles
- Occasionally fill in for drivers or crew helpers as needed
- - Travel daily as needed throughout region - no overnight travel
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Bonus eligibility
- Top-tier medical insurance with generous contribution for self and dependents
- Dental, vision, life and ADD insurance
- 401k retirement plan
Learn more about Compost Crew at: