UNM Medical Group, Inc. is hiring for a Senior Genetic Counselor: for the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center. This opportunity is a full time position located in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Under limited supervision, provides pre- and post-test genetic counseling and psychological support to patients and/or families at risk for inherited cancer. Works as part of a multidisciplinary team including genetic counselors, social support services, attending physicians, fellows, residents, and nurse practitioners. May coordinate and support research activities within area of expertise. Provides training, guidance, and professional leadership to lower level counselors and/or other patient care staff
Minimum Job Requirements of a Senior Genetic Counselor:
Master's degree in Genetic Counseling or directly equivalent discipline; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Certification/Licensure: Board Certification as a Genetic Counselor. Licensed by the New Mexico Medical Board. Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis. Verification of education and licensure will be required if selected for hire.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Senior Genetic Counselor:
1. Oversees and coordinates the provision of direct patient care and assessment, ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations, policies and established quality standards for clinical operations; provides direct patient care and professional assessment as appropriate to clinic requirements.
2. Collects medical and family history from patients directly or via telemedicine and through medical records review.
3. Provides pre-test genetic counseling to individuals with a personal and/or family history of cancer or pre-cancerous conditions.
4. Provides a personalized risk assessment to determine appropriateness of genetic testing. Develops personalized screening and management plans for patients within the genetic counselor’s area of expertise.
5. Discusses benefits and limitations of genetic testing options. Coordinates genetic testing inclusive of obtaining informed consent, reviewing billing policies, and facilitating sample collection.
6. Provide post-test genetic counseling for patients.
7. Documents in patient charts and develops follow-up recommendations for patient; documents cases and maintains appropriate records, ensuring confidentiality.
8. Attends tumor boards and clinical working groups as needed.
9. Assists with the execution of research protocols as needed.
10. Maintains patient educational resources and literature.
11. Develops and presents educational and related programs for medical practitioners, patient care staff, and students, within area of expertise.
12. Performs community liaison, presentation, and outreach activities for specific programs and/or projects, as appropriate; may assist in the development and preparation of promotional materials, educational materials, and various other media.
13. May plan and develop strategies for generating resources and/or revenues for specific clinical projects or programs; may prepare contract or grant proposals.
14. Performance miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
About UNM Medical Group, Inc.
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNMMG is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG strives to mitigate health disparities brought about by technology; we aim to reach underrepresented populations, making healthcare more equitable and accessible for all of the people in New Mexico; we have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
About the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center:
This position will be located at the University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center (UNMCCC). The Comprehensive Cancer Center (UNMCCC) is a statewide provider of cancer care and is influential in the cancer field throughout New Mexico and the nation. The Official Cancer Center of New Mexico, the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center, is the only academic healthcare facility dedicated to both cancer research and patient care. We are also the only cancer center in New Mexico designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), and one of just 66 premier Net-designated centers nationwide. We employee over 200 research scientists and staff over 100 clinicians, and at any one time participate in around 300 clinical trials. Our clinic saw over 15,800 cancer patients from every county in New Mexico and more than 137,000 patient visits. We currently serve 65 percent of the adults and virtually all of the children in New Mexico newly diagnosed with cancer.
UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, generous paid time off plan and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
Apply TODAY to our Full Time Senior Genetic Counselor opportunity with the UNM Medical Group, Inc. and one of our Recruiters will contact you shortly!