Position Overview: The Track & Field season starts February 6, 2023 and runs through approximately May 12, 2023. Teams practice every weekday from 3:30pm to 5:30pm.
Throws Coach - Lick-Wilmerding High School Track & Field Team
Work with a small group of throwers on technique and strength development. Group includes returning varsity throwers and novices. Provide consistent, athlete-centered feedback on technique, preparation for competition, and performance. Coach will also run the shot put event with school volunteers at 3 league meets and the league championship.
Hurdles Coach - Lick-Wilmerding High School Track & Field Team
Work with and engage a group of 12 or more athletes on hurdle technique and strength development. The group will include sport/event newcomers and returning athletes. Provide concise, helpful feedback on movements for optimal outcomes in practice and competitions.
Jumps Coach - Lick-Wilmerding High School Track & Field Team
Work with a small group of jumpers on technique and strength development. Group includes returning varsity jumpers and novices. Provide consistent, athlete-centered feedback on technique, preparation for competition, and performance.
Team competes in 8-10 meets during the season plus championship meets for individuals who qualify. Coach is expected to be at practice daily, except during the school's spring break, and to attend the meets. Coaches will also coordinate strength training with the team's strength coach.
Lick-Wilmerding is a private high school located on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, near the Balboa BART station. The team practices at the City College of San Francisco track from 3:45 until 5:30 daily starting on the first Monday in February.
The LWHS Athletics Program:
- Provides opportunities for students to participate in a wide variety of sports throughout the school year.
- Assists participants in the development of required physical and sport-specific skills.
- Fosters the development of character, social skills, game ethics and sportsmanship.
- Compliments lessons learned in the classroom and encourage cooperation, team work, discipline and hard work.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Adhere to and uphold the LWHS Athletics Philosophy:
- Put your foot in the circle
- Be a teammate
- Champions find a way
- Champions choose the right way
- Appreciate how lucky you are.
- Communication between Athletic Director, other coaches, and key members of Faculty and Staff (primarily through email).
- When needed, assign duties to Athletes to make sure their practice, game, pick up, and meeting areas are left as they found it.
- Encourage safe, respectful, and responsible behavior when hosting other teams or visiting other schools. Be mindful and considerate of the environment, buildings, and occupants both at home and away.
Range for Assistant Coaches from $25-$35/hour.
The ideal candidate will have a deep passion and knowledge of the sport, as well as a commitment to hands-on, student-centered coaching practices, with the ability to demonstrate proper technique. We seek thoughtful, energetic, and passionate coaches who are committed to using multiple coaching modalities. We are also looking for genuine, kind colleagues and all-around "school people" who want to participate in and contribute to our vibrant community.
- Be able to stand and walk the court/field without difficulty for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to physically demonstrate the sport.
Have or are willing to get:
- First Aid and CPR Certification
- Concussion Training
- Fundamentals of Coaching Certification
How to Apply
Please apply through this site and submittal in PDF format cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. No calls or emails, please.